The Benefits of Sel-Plex (Alltech's Selenium Yeast)
- Increased bioavailability
- Can be transferred from cow to calf
- Antioxidant properties and health benefits for both cow and calf
- The only organic Selenium reviewed by the FDA
Benefits to the calf
Kamada et al., (2007) Journal of Dairy Science 90:5665-5670
- Calf mortalities are approximately 9.4-13.1% (USA).
- Mostly due to susceptibility to infections.
- Most calves are born selenium deficient, feeding Selenium after birth is an important technique for promoting the development of their immune status and healthy growth.
- IgG absorption by new-born calves can be enhanced by increasing selenium in colostrum.
- Increased IgG and Selenium in blood plasma could contribute to improved resistance to infectious diseases in post-natal calves.
Benefits to the calf can be achieved by increasing colostrum and milk Selenium via Sel-Plex supplementation to the cow.
This article explains why Selenium supplementation is required in the first place: 'Farmers Urged to Address Selenium Deficiencies in Grass'
Prevention is key
- Maintain healthy structures in the udder
- The first line of defense is physical
- Increase resistance — boost immune system
- Bioavailable trace minerals